1985

Well, I feel sort of bad that I didn't go to my TWENTY year class reunion this summer. Maybe I'll be there for the twenty-five or something.

I enjoyed HS - I was definitely in it more for the social aspects and I enjoyed everything I was involved with: drama, school newspaper, some weird singing/dancing group, student government, mock trial (my group in the photo - I'm the one in the red blazer), model legislature, band (flute), etc. I have always been a participator!

In 1985 the first British mobile phone call was made, we got "new coke," Gorbachev became the de facto leader of the Soviet Union, the Iditarod was won for the first time by a woman, TWA flight 847 was hijacked, Coke Classic was (re?)released (two months after "new coke"), Live Aid was performed, the first Calvin & Hobbes comic was printed, Gorbachev & Reagan met for the first time, Orson Welles, Yul Brenner and Rock Hudson died, Keira Knightley was born, the cost of a first class stamp went up to .22 cents, Amadeus won the Oscar, Out of Africa was released - which would win the Oscar the following year AND the price of gas was under $1.25/gallon!!!

Here is a list of the top 50 songs from the year I graduated. Wow. I really loved to dance to most of these songs. What were you doing in 1985?

Love/d - REO Speedwagon
Hate/d - Duran Duran (or, as I called them, the whiner boys)

  1. Careless Whisper, Wham!
  2. Like A Virgin, Madonna
  3. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Wham!
  4. I Want To Know What Love Is, Foreigner
  5. I Feel For You, Chaka Khan
  6. Out Of Touch, Daryl Hall and John Oates
  7. Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Tears For Fears
  8. Money For Nothing, Dire Straits
  9. Crazy For You, Madonna
  10. Take On Me, A-Ha
  11. Everytime You Go Away, Paul Young
  12. Easy Lover, Phil Collins and Philip Bailey
  13. Can't Fight This Feeling, REO Speedwagon
  14. We Built This City, Starship
  15. The Power Of Love, Huey Lewis and The News
  16. Don't You (Forget About Me), Simple Minds
  17. Cherish, Kool and The Gang
  18. St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion), John Parr
  19. The Heat Is On, Glenn Frey
  20. We Are The World, U.S.A. For Africa
  21. Shout, Tears For Fears
  22. Part-Time Lover, Stevie Wonder
  23. Saving All My Love For You, Whitney Houston
  24. Heaven, Bryan Adams
  25. Everything She Wants, Wham!
  26. Cool It Now, New Edition
  27. Miami Vice Theme, Jan Hammer
  28. Lover Boy, Billy Ocean
  29. Lover Girl, Teena Marie
  30. You Belong To The City, Glenn Frey
  31. Oh Sheila, Ready For The World
  32. Rhythm Of The Night, Debarge
  33. One More Night, Phil Collins
  34. Sea Of Love, Honeydrippers
  35. A View To A Kill, Duran Duran
  36. The Wild Boys, Duran Duran
  37. You're The Inspiration, Chicago
  38. Neutron Dance, Pointer Sisters
  39. We Belong, Pat Benatar
  40. Nightshift, Commodores
  41. Things Can Only Get Better, Howard Jones
  42. All I Need, Jack Wagner
  43. Freeway Of Love, Aretha Franklin
  44. Never Surrender, Corey Hart
  45. Sussudio, Phil Collins
  46. Strut, Sheena Easton
  47. You Give Good Love, Whitney Houston
  48. The Search Is Over, Survivor
  49. Missing You, Diana Ross
  50. Separate Lives, Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin

5 Response to "1985"

  1. you just had to bring up the painful memories of that whole "new coke" scandal!! That was really rough on some of us. : )
    1985, I was 14. President of both our High School Thespian Society & The National Forensic League, Secretary of The French Club...in general I was a theater geek.

    Whit says:

    Hey, totally not fair - we didn't even HAVE a french club. I did take french for about 4 or 5 years though (college as well as HS)...

    Ah, the NFL. Bug just started debate - she LOVES it... like mother like daughter and all that.

    I was a classic diet coke girl myself - gave up caffeine several years ago and people say I'm calmer now... go figure. lol

    Sharon says:

    New Coke, what were they thinking? can remember scouring stores for cans of the old stuff until they came to their senses and brought it back, and remember how you had to ask at restaurants which one they were serving? I remember how state of the art we felt recording the entire Live Aid concert on our new vcr (took a bazillion tapes as I recall) because we were doing other things that day and wanted to sit down and watch it later. Liked Duran Duran's music but hate any guys who look better in eyeliner than I do. Wow, I'd forgotten Jack Wagner's brief attempt at a recording career. Cyndy and I were hooked on "General Hospital" back then. And how dated do the fashions on "Miami Vice" look now, ouch.

    Anonymous says:

    1985 -- I remember shoulder length feathered hair; big jewelry; and lots of purple eye shadow.

    To be fair, I was finishing my sophomore year of college, so I also remember lots and lots of studying.

    I was in heaven talking about politics with the founding fathers.

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme