If there is anything lovely...

Sometimes I wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I'm not sure if it's bad dreams (sometime I'll write about how I don't remember my dreams much anymore) or if it's hormones (I figure 98% of the world's problems are hormone related) or if I'm just a grouch.

Several years ago I woke up feeling this darkness. I could think of several reasons, but I couldn't shake the mood. As I was on my knees praying for relief (can you say the "please" prayer too often?) a scripture came into my head. The scripture was Philippians 4. The thought was the 13th Article of Faith (this year's theme for the youth!) but I knew I needed to go to Paul's admonition directly.

Here's what Paul says, "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you."

I knew as I read that it was the peace of God I was seeking and I knew that I had not been seeking after the lovely things in life as was counseled.

Now, when I wake up on the wrong side of bed - I seek lovely things. I look at beautiful artwork or listen to beautiful music or walk outside and look at the beauties in nature.

Works every time. The God of peace fills my heart.

2 Response to "If there is anything lovely..."

  1. elaine says:

    Thank you for this, Whit! I had a similar experience the other day, asking why I was feeling dark. It came to me I was listening to the wrong media. There was a book on tape and a television show, neither horrible, but neither sufficiently uplifting to fight the dark. I got the same answer; I just didn't think of it as the 13th Article of Faith. Good job.

    Laree says:

    I bet it's more than 98%. Around here, I'd label it closer to 99.99994%!!

    I miss you. Thanks for your words today.

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme