Childhood Stuff

Blogging about the Slinky made me think of:
Super Elastic Bubble Plastic
How many of you remember this stuff? Man, the smell!!! I loved SEBB. I was seven and living in a mortuary in Superior, Arizona. I'm not sure this actually worked all that well, but the smell was amazing! What toys/products do you remember from childhood? Resealable balloons? What a concept!

Probably my two favorites were:
My Baby Go Bye-Bye
And, not to be forgotten:

My INCHWORM!!!!

Post your favorites and click here to see some other retro toys. Maybe you'll see something that you remember. I almost cried when I saw my inchworm!

22 Response to "Childhood Stuff"

  1. Whit says:

    WOW! Baby go bye-bye with her bumpety buggy goes for over $200 - not even in the box. I seriously would love to have that doll. I can get just the doll on Ebay. It's that dang bumpety buggy that's hard to find.

    Whit says:

    WOW! (again) I just found her WITH THE BUGGY at Ebay. You should all snipe her and buy her for me for Christmas!!! Just kidding. Here she is if you want to see her!!!

    Sharon says:

    What was the name of the toy where you had little metal molds of flowers and bugs and all sorts of things and you poured in different colors of liquid gooey plastic and then the machine heated it up and solidified them until you ended up with rubbery toys. Nowdays they would probably pull it for fear of lawsuits considering how many times we burned our fingers. Of course there's etch-o-sketch, and Cyndy was always a Litebrite kid, but I loved Spirograph, remember that? Notched wheels of different sizes that you traced around each other to get geometric patterns on the paper.

    Whit says:

    I LOVED spirograph!! Here's a picture of Thingmaker. And here's a picture of spirograph. I think I'm going to start buying toys on Ebay - cause I need a collection. When Rob was little I bought him a spirograph. He thought it was the stupidest thing on earth - "I can make those same designs on the computer and they're always perfect." was what he told me. Sad. Very sad.

    I loved litebrite, too - but the new cube is AMAZING!!

    Sharon says:

    "Creepy Crawlers"! Some co-workers and I just had a pow wow and came up with the correct name. In fact they still sell it. http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/cc.html, this is what I was talking about!

    Whit says:

    I see on my link that they're "creepy crawlers and they also have "creeple people" - we never had these. Rob had a set of the new ones, though and LOVED it.

    John says:

    Super Elastic Bubble Plastic. I remember that stuff. I remember the commercials that always showed these happy kids playing with big bubbles. Now wonder they were happy. They were high as kites.

    I remember getting some once. I think it was old. We rolled it into little balls, stuck the straw in, and blew and blew and blew. Made my jaws hurt. Never got a bubble. Loved the smell.

    I loved Spirograph.

    VertiBird still rates as my all-time favorite toy. Played with that thing for hours and hours on end. Don't know what ever happened to it.

    Whit says:

    My Uncle Evart had a vertibird. I thought he pronounced it wrong. I thought it was supposed to be whirly-bird. Dumb girl.

    Whit says:

    Wow. I was cleaning house and just out of nowhere I remembered that I had named my Baby GBB Cindy. Mom, if you're reading - is that right?

    Whit says:

    Hey, do you remember your Weebles, Candi? I saw them on the retro link and I know we had some - I think they were yours.

    I still remember their jingle... I'll be singing it all day now - "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down..."

    I didn't think I remembered the dolly pops - but when I looked on Ebay they did seem familiar - I remember cleaning bedrooms and finding those little dresses.. lol

    Whit says:

    But, I think the new ones are not the "choking hazards" the other ones were! Your children make me laugh.

    The song is "Weebles Wobble But THey Don't Fall Down!" I was watching TV with my friend and we watched the comercial for them 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,997
    times and by the end of the day I was singing the song. I love light brights, but besides the McDonalds thing I don't know any of those. OK, the catipillar thing is cool.

    amy had the coolest etch a sketch sort of thing with a control stick and little frames that kept it confined to circles or stars or whatever. she got it the christmas she rode the hump to disneyland. i think we lost a couple of the frames on the trip. but i liked it.
    i had a life sized 'stripe' from 'gremlins' and i got a 'murdoch' action figure complete with helicopter from the 'a-team' the same christmas.
    but the coolest was the jabba-the-hut palace set along with all my other star wars action figures and vehicles.

    Sharon says:

    I bought one of the Jabba the Hut action figures a few years ago for a friend's son's birthday party, it was Star Wars themed. Jabba came with neon green goo that would ooze out of his mouth when you squeezed him, so I tossed that and replaced it with yellow-green pudding and put him on top of the birthday cake. On and off throughout the party the boys would squeeze him and go "eeeewwwwwww ... gross!!!!" .... just about right for 9-10 yr old boys. One of the kids went home and told his mom that Caleb's birthday cake was gross and she made him write an apology to Caleb's mom..."Dear Mrs. Roberts, I am sorry I called Caleb's cake 'gross'.." , lolol.

    Whit says:

    Ahhh, boys...

    Boys are phsycotic, I've decided. All of them. Some of my best friends are boys and they really start acting phsyco sometimes.

    Sharon says:

    I'll have to see if Caleb's mom has any pictures, I'm bad about not bothering to take pics of cakes after I've finished them. I think by the time I'm done with them I'm just SO DONE with them..lol. It's like when I'm done sewing something, I don't want to even look at tht fabric again for days.

    Sharon says:

    I haven't done any cakes in awhile, but I posted a few pics of my new hobby on my blog.

    I know what you peoples mean! After I've eddited one of my stories a bazillion times I don't want to even THINK about it! Mom says she doesn't even like to finish a prodgect becouse she gets so sick of the fabric or color (But who doesn't love knitting patterns? Even Dumbledore does!)

    I still have snoopy although he had been given a musicboxectomy for some reason and i also still have my blue blankey.
    i have the jabba the hut that had goo coming out of him also, if you want it for a cake you're welcome to it, although i have a bunch of really small action figures and vehicles if you'd rather create a cake that looks like space and do things flying all over or something.
    oh yeah, and guys are psychotic.

    It's a fact (though girls are too, we're different!).

    Sharon says:

    Yeah using Jabba or the action figures is great because they can still keep playing after the cake's eaten. I made a death star cake for a Star Wars fanatic friend and although it started out perfectly round, the longer the evening went on the more the cake and frosting settled and by the time it came to cutting it it looked more like a deflating beachball (not to mention how long it takes for black food coloring to wear off your tongue).

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme