Globe Theater Burns Down


No, not THE Globe Theater... But in my case, just as sad. I grew up in Globe, Arizona. Last weekend - coincidentally the weekend of my TWENTY year class reunion (or do I have an arsonist in my class?) - the theater of my childhood burned down.

I have memories of seeing Bambi there as a small child - long before VCRs much less DVDs. I saw Star Wars and Poltergeist and Top Gun and on and on... Little kid memories and family memories and friendship memories and date memories...

12 Response to "Globe Theater Burns Down"

  1. that is very sad. i thought there was a fire there about eight years ago, but they had fixed it up afterwards.

    AuntCandi says:

    Wow - how sad. I remember a couple of years when the school system bought out movies there and brought all the school kids. There was a balcony, right?

    I remember seeing Sleeping Beauty, The Rescuers, and Top Gun there.

    Whit says:

    Yes, there was a balcony. The theatre in Logan (called "The Utah") reminds me a lot of the old theater in Globe - complete with balcony. Katie always wants to sit there! :)

    Whit says:

    I know there was a fire in the library several years ago - didn't know about the theater.

    Sad. I hate to see any buildings burn down (or forests or anything else for that matter, but-). Don't think I ever even saw the theater, but still sad.

    akfagg says:

    Mela E-mailed me last week and told me about this. It is sad. Lots of fun memories threre.

    i remember the couple times i was on the honor roll in elementary school they took us in and watched a movie, don't remember which movie though. remember watching most of the movies of my childhood at that theater.

    AuntCandi says:

    O, I didn't realize it was for honor roll. That's amazing as I was completely lazy with homework :).

    Gam says:

    Not just the theatre, but the dime store next door and the hotel on the other side! Really sad - almost the entire block - just next to the court house.

    yeah, can you believe i actually got to go with the honor roll once or twice?!

    Whit says:

    Yes, Mom & the library burned several years ago - I think most of the original "Globe" is gone now. Sad.

    AuntCandi says:

    lol, Stephen!

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme