Salsa, it isn't just for - breakfast?

I woke up this morning craving - salsa. Yes, salsa. Not just any salsa, though. Pineapple salsa. DELICIOUS. This stuff is locally made, but you might be able to find a recipe or a store near you that carries something similar.

Those of you who make salsa (hint, hint Dad) might want to try a batch with some pineapple thrown in. It is completely addicting. Okay, now you know.

I went to a knitting group last night and almost finished Mom's gift. Hooray! I'll post a picture maybe tomorrow... hmmm... or maybe I'll wait til her birthday to post it. Guess we'll see.

9 Response to "Salsa, it isn't just for - breakfast?"

  1. Sharon says:

    Ohhhh...pineapple salsa sounds good! Although I tend to think pineapple is good in just about any form. And, Candi, you're not weird, I love peach salsa. It's also great mixed with an evelope of onion soup mix, poured over chicken and baked. I'll have to make a trip to the local gourmet store and look for the salsa.

    Whit says:

    Oh my - over chicken sounds divine - I hadn't thought far enough ahead to include it in recipes. lol

    At a class at my gym the other day they had samples of this stuff - I almost wish I'd never tried it. Almost.

    I liked the peach, too - but the pineapple is by far my fav.

    I really think Dad's salsa would be good with the pineapple.

    Sharon says:

    Well it works with peach or pineapple salsa or also a jar of apricot or peach jam. It's been awhile since I made it, I think you might have to put a little bit of melted butter in the mix too. But it's one of those recipes that you can pretty much play around with and it will work no matter how you tweak it. Laurie had some mango salsa there the day after the wedding that was really good.

    Whit says:

    Remember who you're talking to, Mom. Me, a gourmet? hahahahahah

    Sharon says:

    I know this sounds really weird, but one of the best desserts I've ever had was at a restaurant that used to be downtown. It was a slice of fresh pineapple, topped with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream, sprinkled with a very light dash of ground white pepper, and then drizzled with warm pure maple syrup. I ordered it just because it sounded so different and it was incredible. I've never tried making it myself but I will one day.

    Whit says:

    I think I might have to try that! I am just floored that I like this salsa, but I've eaten almost the whole bottle (well, with John's help - he said he wouldn't like it, but...).

    Sharon says:

    Yeah, but just a tiny kick, enough to kind of amp up all the other flavors. A few weeks ago Cyndy and I stopped at a little ice cream shop that comes up with all sortsw of it's own flavors and I tried a scoop of one called "Red Hot Elvis". It was reddish-pink and had cayenne pepper in it, it was really good, tasted kind of like those little red hot candies.

    Sharon says:

    Hey, I found an online grocer specializing in hard to find and regional stuff and was looking for some New England soda I like ("Moxie", bu that's a whole other story!), guess what I stumbled upon.... RASPBERRY salsa..lol. Might have to try it. It's a cool website, http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/.

    Sharon says:

    I don't know if this technically counts as salsa but I just found this recipe on a friend's website...

    Annie’s Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

    2 kiwis, peeled and diced
    2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and diced
    8 ounces raspberries
    1 pound strawberries
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
    10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
    Butter flavored cooking spray
    2 cups cinnamon sugar

    In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, golden delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

    Preheat oven to 350° F.

    Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray.

    Bake in the preheated oven 8-10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit and spice mixture.

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme