A Felting We Will Go..

Okay, that title was specifically designed to give Tammy something NEW to have cruising through her head... (maniachal laughter here)

I decided to be kind and post a picture of the felted purse. So here it is:



Okay, seriously - I think that's sort of funny. You CAN see the purse. It's that piece of purple in the bottom right corner of the washer. Looks like more than a tablespoon of soap, doesn't it? Not so... Anyhow, the purse is now blocking and drying quite nicely. I will show you a picture when it is dry.

Now... go away and stop bothering me.

LATER ------

Okay, here it is for real.

I really love the way this yarn felts. With the pattern it is shorter than it would have been otherwise, but I love the retro purse look that it has. In "real" life it is MUCH cooler than the picture. I took about 30 pictures of it, trying to capture it looking like it does in person - but I had to give up. And, I can't stop petting it. I know it's not an animal, but you can really tell it's animal hair, because it cries out to be touched. At least you don't have to feed it.

Also, I always thought I liked the bags better fuzzy - but I don't. I will probably shave all of them from now on. I love the look of the shaved bag. I am going to add a snap closure and then it will be all finished and ready to ship off to cousin Cori.

I am going to make myself a bag soon. I just really need one for myself. I made this with Mauch Chunky yarn and I don't recommend ever doing needlework with it - or making a sweater with it. It's FAB for felted bags, though.

I am down to two things left on my September list and I'm just not sure they're going to happen since September ends Friday. Oh well. Something to do in October, I suppose.

9 Response to "A Felting We Will Go.."

  1. Hi Ho the Merry-O... A felting we will go!!! Thanks for trying, bu the muppet movie is still firmly planted in my brain.
    that picture is great!! I love it because I have a front loader, and never get to see the process happening.

    WOW!!! The bag came out beautiful!! really gorgeous! I need to get my booty in gear & start pumping out some more bags! : )
    did you measure before & after on this bag?

    Becky says:

    That is a beautiful design! I can't believe you are going to ship it away...lucky cousin.

    Funny tease in the washer. :)

    Mz Mar says:

    The bag turned out great!! I love the colors!!
    The straps are really nice. I'm on a strap kick because I've not been liking any of mine lately!
    Could I be your cousin????

    Sharon says:

    Hey, Whit, when you're felting projects what percentage in size do they shrink from the original size? Gorgeous bag btw!

    Anonymous says:

    Love that bag! That came out really nice. Good job!

    Michele :)

    Whit says:

    I wish I'd measured - I always forget until it's too late. I let this one shrink more than usual to get the pattern the way I wanted it - and I really like the shape (again, something that's not caught very well with the camera)...

    Thanks for the sweet words about the bag. I, too, really like the strap on this - I will use the strap idea on other bags. Really fun. Kinda cool that the two straps don't felt together. You do two i-cords and twist them and then graft them to the other side.

    Sharon, the bags always shrink considerably more vertically than horiz. I'd say this bag shrunk down to about 1/3 its original size vertically. Horiz. it didn't shrink much at all. If you are making up a pattern I'd recommend measuring and then felting a swatch. I think all yarns felt a little differently. I have a pattern in mind for a little girl I know (Mia!) and that's what I'm going to do.

    I also just learned that the reason you add soap is to change the pH balance, which helps in the felting (I really should be saying "fulling") process.

    Mia as in my cousin Mia?

    Whit says:

    Yep - cousin Mia. Can't wait to start on it!! I have a design idea I'm dying to try. :O)

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme